Paying Rural Property Taxes by Installment
I’ve been telling people to pay their property taxes by monthly installment, so I decided that I’d better take my own advice and set it up. I won’t say it was exactly “easy” — there were many steps — but it’s quite straightforward.
Schedule half an hour to do this. Here’s what you will need:
- A desktop computer with a reasonably up to date browser
- Your 2018 Property Tax Notice
- A cheque or other document that shows your bank account number in full (branch number, institution number, account number, e.g. 00000 010 9999999)
- Have your email account open so you can receive emails
- Think up a username and a password. The password must be at least 8 digits, including upper and lower case letters and at least one numeral.
- Go to: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/etaxbc/help-guide/rural-property-taxes#recurring-prepayments
On the right hand side, click on Enrol Now.
- Select Individual/Business as a user type.
- Pick “Property Tax – Rural” as your account type. Then enter your folio number. You will find that number on the top right of your 2018 Property Tax Notice.
- Enter the Enrolment Code. You can find it on the top left of your Property Tax Notice.
- Now it’s time to create your Logon. This is where you’ll need to come up with a username and password. When you’re done, submit.
- The system will send you an email with a confirmation number and a link. When I did this, it took less than a minute for the email to turn up. Click on the link in the email and log onto your new account.
- When you log on for the first time, they want to authenticate you, so click on “Send Access Code.”You will get an email containing the code. Enter it.
- Finally you’re in! Congratulate yourself! Now, at the main window, click on the Accounts heading. Then click on Property Tax – Rural.
- This will show you your property tax payments for previous years. In the upper right under “I want to”, click on “Create or cancel recurring pre-payment.”
- Select payment frequency and then click on “Next”.
- Decide if you want to have them withdraw the remaining tax balance automatically in July. Click “Next”.
- Decide the amount of the recurring payment. Click “Next”.
- Here’s where you need your bank account information. Fill it in. The Bank Name field will fill automatically if you have the correct institution number.
- Now you’ll get all the fine print. Click on yes, and then agree at the bottom of the screen.
- Once you’ve agreed it shows you a summary of your payment arrangement. This is your last chance to make any corrections. When you’re ready, click on Submit.
- The system will now send you an email (shown below). Congratulations! You’re finished and you can log out now.